Citizenship Through Marriage

Click Here to Schedule a Consultation

The Process For Citizenship Through Marriage

Are you the spouse of a U.S. citizen, a three-year lawful permanent resident, and interested in obtaining U.S. citizenship? The Texas immigration law firm of Walker Gates Vela helps married couples solidify their unions and achieve their goals and dreams by assisting them with attaining citizenship via naturalization for eligible spouses.

The process can be quite complicated, so we recommend retaining an attorney to guide you through all the legal hoops and hurdles. In general, you must meet certain eligibility requirements, file all the correct paperwork with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), and provide legal proof of your bona fide marriage. Let us walk you through the basic process – you can contact us anytime to learn more or to receive more information about how an immigration lawyer can help you. We serve clients in and around Austin, Texas, as well as across the United States.

Naturalization And Citizenship For Spouses Of U.S. Citizens

If you and your spouse have been married for three years and your foreign-born spouse has been living in the United States with you as a lawful permanent resident, he or she may qualify for citizenship.

These are the requirements:

  • You have had a Green Card for at least three years
  • You have been married to the same U.S. citizen for three years
  • You have been living continuously in the U.S. as a lawful permanent resident for at least three years
  • You meet all the general eligibility requirements listed below

Here are the general eligibility requirements for anyone applying for citizenship:

  • Be 18 or older
  • Have lived within the state, or USCIS district with jurisdiction over the applicant’s place of residence, for at least 3 months prior to the date of  filing the application
  • Have resided continuously within the United States from the date of application for naturalization until the time of naturalization
  • Have been physically present in the United States for at least 18 months out of the 3 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application
  • Are able to speak, read and write in English
  • Have an understanding of U.S. history and government
  • Have good moral character

The application for naturalization must be made by submitting Form N-400 to the USCIS. You’ll need to attend an interview at a USCIS office where your application will be reviewed and you’ll be tested on your knowledge of English and civics.

Contact Our Austin Citizenship Through Marriage Attorneys

Marriage to a U.S. citizen does not guarantee approval of your application. Since the government takes U.S. citizenship and fraudulent marriages very seriously, your marriage will be scrutinized for legitimacy with this type of application. In other words, you will need to prove to the USCIS agency that your marriage is bona fide. From our offices in Austin, a lawyer at Walker Gates Vela can prep you for all interview questions, examinations, and ensure your application includes the proper evidence of eligibility. To learn more about our services, contact our Texas immigration law firm today.

Let's Work Together

Contact Us About Your Case

Your case is important to us, in order to help you as effectively as possible please book your appointment now:


505 East Huntland Drive,
Suite 300
Austin, TX 78752

Schedule A Consultation

We would love to help you with your case. In order to begin the process, please click the button below to book an appointment through our Acuity Scheduling system.