What To Do If You Are Detained By Immigration
FOR IMMEDIATE ASSISTANCE WITH A CASE INVOLVING ARREST OR DEPORTATION, CALL OUR EMERGENCY HOTLINE AT 1-877-339-1422 OR TEXT US AT 512-213-0005.
If you or a loved one has been arrested by ICE, you should contact a trusted attorney to assist you as early in the process as possible.
At Walker Gates Vela, these are the immediate steps we take to assist detained clients:
Step 1: Gather information
We will need the following information about the detained person:
Date of birth
Country of birth
Location (if known)
A number (if known)
We will need the following information from you (the person contacting us):
Relationship to detainee
Contact phone number
Send this information to a WGV staffer now via this link.
Step 2: Locate
Next, WGV works to locate the detainee via the ICE online detainee locator or by contacting detention facilities directly.
Step 3: Contact
Once the detainee is located, WGV will arrange to visit with the detainee either in person or by phone in order to fully evaluate his or her case.
Step 4: Assist
Once case evaluation is complete, WGV may assist with any or all of the following, depending on the specific needs of the client:
- Provide notice to ICE that detainee is represented so that we are included in all official communications;
- Provide assistance to detainee in preparing for his or her credible fear interview;
- Facilitate communications with the detainee and his or her family;
- Facilitate deposits of funds in commissary account;
- Compiling documents to support bond or parole request;
Step 5: Seek release
After we determine that a detainee is eligible for release from ICE custody, we will prepare and submit a request for release either on bond or parole. We may also submit a motion to the immigration judge for a bond hearing should that be required.
If the detainee is granted a bond or parole, we will assist with the logistics of helping him or her arrive safely at home, including posting bond and/or facilitating travel arrangements.
Detention Centers Served by WGV*
- South Texas Detention Center, Pearsall, Texas
- T. Don Hutto Detention Center, Taylor, Texas
- South Texas Family Detention Center, Dilley, Texas
- Karnes Family Detention, Karnes City, Texas
- Laredo Processing Center, Laredo, Texas
- Webb County Detention Center, Laredo, Texas
- Houston Processing Center, Houston, Texas
- Joe Corley Detention Center, Houston, Texas
- LaSalle Regional Detention Center, Encinal, Texas
- Coastal Bend Detention Facility, Robstown, Texas
- Brooks County Detention Center, Falfurrias, Texas
- Willacy County Regional Detention Center, Raymondville, Texas
- East Hidalgo Detention Center, Hidalgo, Texas
- Port Isabel Detention Center, Los Fresnos, Texas
*If your loved one is detained in a location not listed here, please contact our office.