What Should I Do If I am Detained By ICE?

Hi, I am Jennifer Walker Gates with Walker Gates Vela. Today’s immigration law question comes from Daniel in Harlingen, Texas. Daniel asks, “What should I do if I’m detained by ICE?” If you are in the United States and you are undocumented, you must unfortunately face the reality that you are at risk of being detained by ICE and questioned. This can happen if you are arrested for a crime or even if you’re simply pulled over in your car for having a taillight out or an expired inspection sticker.

However, just because you’re detained and questioned by ICE does not mean that you will immediately be deported. In order to protect yourself and your family from the devastating consequences of deportation, it is important to know your rights and responsibilities in case of an ICE detention.

The three most important things to know if you’re detained by ICE are: Don’t say anything, don’t sign anything, and talk to your lawyer. In the United States, the right to remain silent with law enforcement officers is enshrined in our Constitution. Therefore, if you’re detained by ICE, the only thing you should say is, “Thank you. With all due respect, I wish to talk to my lawyer. I decline to comment without first talking to my lawyer.” It is important to be respectful. Don’t make the ICE agents your enemy, but more important is that you not reveal too much to ICE until your lawyer has analyzed your case and informed you about the best course of action.

The second rule for ICE detentions is don’t sign anything, especially if you’re unable to read and clearly understand what you’re signing, do not sign anything. Many immigrants come to Walker Gates Vela having spent many years in the United States, having built a family and contributed a lot to this country. However, because they signed a voluntary departure order during an ICE detention, they are often ineligible for any benefits with immigration because crossing out of the United States and back in without permission can destroy your chances of ever becoming a legal resident in this country.

Signing a voluntary departure might make your detention with ICE shorter, it might seem like a better idea than fighting your case in the immigration courts with lawyers and judges and all of that stress and expense. However, if you leave the United States and then are caught reentering illegally, you can be charged with a felony and sentenced to time in federal prison. Given the level of crime and danger at the US-Mexico border, you could also be risking your life by leaving, and trying to come back without permission.

So well, it might take longer to get out of detention, refusing to sign a voluntary departure is extremely important for your future immigration status in this country. So, remember if you’re detained by ICE, your job is don’t say anything, don’t sign anything. Instead, call us at Walker Gates Vela at 512-633-1785 and let us help you get out of detention.

Jennifer Walker Gates On G+

Por que tengo que salir del pais para tramitar mi residencia?

Hola, soy Jennifer Walker Gates con Walker Gates Vela. La pregunta de hoy viene de José en Waco, Texas. Él dice: “si voy a solicitar mi residencia, ¿todavía tengo que salir de los Estados Unidos para pedirla en mi país de origen?” Esto es una buena pregunta que muchas personas se preguntan. La respuesta, por supuesto, es: tal vez. Déjame explicarles. Si usted entró a los Estados Unidos sin una visa, probablemente necesita o tener una exención para convertirse a residente. A principios del 2013 el Servicio de Inmigración cambió la forma en que procesa las solicitudes de estas exenciones. Antes, los solicitantes de las renuncias tuvieron que esperar fuera de los Estados Unidos mientras que el Servicio de Inmigración revisaba y tomaba una decisión sobre la aplicación.

Ahora, algunas personas son elegibles para solicitar la renuncia y esperar una decisión aquí en los Estados Unidos. Así, si usted entró a los Estados Unidos sin permiso y necesita un perdón, tendrá que viajar a su país de origen para obtener su residencia, pero la cantidad de tiempo que tiene que estar ahí es mucho menos de lo que era antes. Si usted es elegible para solicitar la renuncia usando el nuevo proceso. La mayoría de las personas usando este nuevo proceso están fuera de los Estados Unidos durante una semana o dos. Con el proceso de antes, la espera fuera del país es a veces un año o más.

Las únicas personas que pueden utilizar el nuevo proceso de perdones son los esposos de ciudadanos que solo necesitan la renuncia debido a una entrada ilegal y no por cualquier otro motivo. Esposos y esposas de residentes pueden solicitar la residencia pero no pueden utilizar el nuevo proceso de perdones. Esposos y otros familiares de los residentes y ciudadanos de Estados Unidos todavía tienen que esperar fuera de los Estados Unidos mientras que se procesan sus perdones. Además, personas que necesitan una renuncia para algo aparte de una entrada ilegal no pueden utilizar el nuevo proceso de renuncia. Por ejemplo, si usted necesita una renuncia porque tiene antecedentes penales, no se puede utilizar el nuevo proceso de renuncia y tendrá que esperar fuera de los Estados Unidos para su solicitud de renuncia a ser revisado y decido. Si desea ayuda para determinar si usted califica para solicitar una exención y como lo va a ser adjudicada, llámenos al (512) 633-1785 en Austin o en Corpus Cristi en (361) 356-4502 para programar una consulta. Esperamos conocerle y aprender sobre su caso.

Hello! Message Us Below For Assistance
¡Hola! Mensaje para asistencia
For Arrests or Deportation Emergency:
Para detenciones o emergencia por deportación:
📞 1-877-339-1422 | 📲 text: 512-213-0005